Enjoy these creative writing prompts appropriate for 3rd third grade students. These writing prompts are sure to help encourage the creativity and imagination of your students.
1. Describe what would happen if the entire world was a desert.
2. Write about what you would do if you could create your best friend. What would he/she like and dislike? What would your best friend look like?
3. You and your friend gets lost in a cave and can’t get out. What happens next?
4. What would it be like to be an animal for a week?
5. Write about what would happen if you couldn’t walk for a year.
6. Write a story about doing something nice for your grandparent.
7. Write about being a police officer for a day.
8. Write about what it would be like to live and travel in space.
9. Write about where dreams come from.
10. You decide to take a long walk on the beach but lose track of time. What happens next?
11. Your friend must make $10 today. How do you help your friend make the money?
12. Write a story about an animal from the wild that must suddenly live at the zoo.
13. What would you do if you lived in a town made of food?
14. What is your favorite season and why?
15. Where would you live if you could live anywhere in the world?
16. You are asked to wish for something that will happen tomorrow. What is your wish?
17. Write a story about a cat who can talk.
18. What do you most like about yourself?
19. Write about the future in 1000 years.
20. Re-write one of your favorite fairy tale stories.
21. You find a bag filled with magical candy. What happens next?
22. Write a story about a human who is cursed to grow a foot every single day.
23. Describe something fun you do with your family.
24. Write about something that you think is really scary.
25. Describe a time when you have found something that you really missed.
26. Describe what would happen if the clouds began to fall.
27. If your house was on fire and you could only save one thing what would it be?
28. If you could only study one subject at school what would it be?
29. Write about what it would be like to rescue an animal or someone.
30. Describe what it would be like to solve a mystery.
Kindergarten writing prompts
First grade writing prompts
Second grade writing prompts
Third grade writing prompts
Free Creative Writing Prompts #71:
Third grade is an important year. These free creative writing prompts make an effort to reflect some of the changes that are occurring at this time. You begin to develop stronger likes, dislikes, and opinions in general. Your discussions with friends and family become more advanced. This is also a big point at which you decide if you like or dislike writing. As you are beginning to take in new experiences with the newfound ability to express them more fully, writing is a huge component to being able to express yourself fully. Try these with your child or students and see what they come up with. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Third Grade
1. What is your favorite game that you like to play? Is it something with other people or just a game that you play alone? Who would be the best people to play it with and where would you play it?2. Talk about a time in which you felt very proud of yourself. What did you do and why did you do it? Did you receive any awards for doing this task?
3. Ten years from now what do you think the world will be like? How will things have changed and how would they change for you (you will be in your first year of college by then!)?
4. What is the best birthday party you've ever been to and why? What was the theme of the party and what did you bring as a gift (and if it was your own party, what did you get as a gift)?
5. What is your favorite movie of all time? Why is it so good? Do you remember who you were with the first time that you saw it?6. What would you do if you were the President of the United States? How would you help people and how would you change things about the world?
7. Talk about a time that you were on a plane. What did you see when you looked out of the window? Where were you going? Do you remember if there was anything special happening on the plane itself?
8. What is the best meal that you've ever had? Who cooked it and why do you remember it so well? Do you think that you'd be able to cook the same thing if you had the chance?
9. What would you do with a million dollars? What would you buy? Would you give any of it away to charity? Which charity would you give some to?
10. What is the most memorable dream or nightmare that you've ever had? Describe the dream from the beginning to the end and try not to leave out any details.
Something to keep in mind with these free creative writing prompts. Save every piece of your child's writing. I am so lucky that I am still able to glance at journals from third grade and see what I was thinking, who I liked, who my friends were, etc. Even just showing it to a child in fourth or fifth grade can show him that he is growing and improving. Hopefully this can lead to a boost in self-confidence and a desire to write even more. Happy writing!
Bonus Prompt - If you had your choice of living anywhere in the world where would it be? Why would you live there and what do you think would change about your life?
Related Articles to Free Creative Writing Prompts for Third Grade
Free Creative Writing Prompts from the Heart, Part 1
Free Creative Writing Prompts #2: Love
Creative Writing Exercises #2: Relaxation
Done with this page? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
comments powered by
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.